9/25/09

The Abuse of Lt. Uhura

This is a short article/rant of mine. I can’t exactly be completely unbiased in a sociology blog, but whatever.

I was reading the ST Kink Meme (which really isn’t friendly to ANYONE), and I was all set to read a Spock/Uhura/Kirk fic. I actually like this OT3 in particular, but it seems the fic filler…didn’t.

Now, why am I writing about it? Well. Uhura wasn’t put into the best light, and the person that filled the fic mentioned something along the line that “Uhura needs to be punished for putting her hands on Spock!”

…excuse me?

So we’re going to go about making Uhura do terrible things (what I like to call Uhura Does Something Shitty fic) because she, a fictional character who doesn’t even exist, has a relationship with another non-existent character.

That’s totally logical, Spock would approve!

Really, people? Have women internalized misogyny so much that they decide who is and isn’t good enough for an imaginary person? It’s one thing to write break-up fic. It’s another to not exactly like Uhura (though I don’t quite understand it but whatever). It’s another to kill a character (Uhura out the airlock for grieving K/S, or Kirk dying for Bones to really acknowledge how much he loved him), or to have said character be OOC just to fulfill your ship (ie: I read a fic where Bones is a pederast in general, but focuses his attentions on Chekov to not get tossed in jail)!

What bugs me here is that said fanpeople are just being pricks here. I mean, no one deserves abuse (and I mean this in a non-consensual way, BDSM is another entire idea). But in the Kink Meme, there’s no shortage of it.

What is your kink is not mine but that is okay. However, there tends to be Unfortunate Implications with it being in regard to a Black woman in particular.

1 comment:

  1. I think it all comes down to the fact that because of the anonymity that the Internet brings, people feel the freedom to say and do things that they would never do in real life. Also, some slashers (K/S in this instance) are just *that* freaking immature to the point where they can't handle an icky girl ruining their non-canon pairing.

    I ship Jack/Ianto in Torchwood, but even I get a little appalled at some of the serious Gwen-bashing that goes down in a lot of the Janto fan fiction. A Jack/Ianto love story can have a happy ending without painting Gwen in a bad light; it's just unnecessary. It's like, they're willing to look past all of the other characters' flaws, including Jack and Ianto's, but they can't forgive Gwen because she's a threat to the pairing.

    Some people just need to grow up and learn to deal with cannon in a more positive way than character-bashing.

    ReplyDelete